Smoked Gouda & Broccoli Soup
1 1/2 pounds broccoli crowns (2 medium)
4 tbsps . Rosemary Olive Oil
1 cup chopped sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups cubed rye bread ( 1/2 inch pieces)
1 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
2 tsps. barrel aged red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. Seasonello Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- Heat 2 tbsps. Rosemary Olive Oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, approx. 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for an additional minute.
- Add flour and paprika; stir to coat.
- Add the vegetable broth and the chopped broccoli. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is tender (approx. 8 to 10 minutes).
- To make the croutons: Toss rye bread with the remaining 2 tbsps. Rosemary Olive Oil in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Puree the soup in a blender, in batches if necessary, or use an immersion blender.
- Return the soup to the pan over low heat. Add cheese a little at a time, stirring constantly until it melts before adding more. Stir in the reserved broccoli florets. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are bright green, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the vinegar, Seasonello Sea Salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, topped with the croutons.